Have you ever eaten real Mexican tortillas? I am not talking about those made from wheat flour, but about those that are eaten in Mexico and are made from corn flour. A real treat!
Here's a recipe so you can make them yourself at home (as you can only buy them at a few specialty food stores!).
Also find out how to make quesadillas!
Homemade Corn Tortillas Recipe:
- 1 cup of bleached wheat flour
- 2 cups corn flour
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 100 g of mozzarella cheese
1. Mix the flours with the salt and sugar. Add the diced butter. Incorporate it by sanding between your fingers.
2. Add the water gradually until you get a soft dough.
3. Put a plastic film on the dough and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
4. Make a roll with the dough and divide it into 6 balls.
5. Flatten each ball with your hand and roll out the dough thinly.
6. Heat a skillet without oil over medium heat. Lay out a tortilla. It will form large bubbles, at this time, count a few seconds so that it can brown.
7. Flip the tortilla and cook for a few seconds only.
8. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
And There you go !
Now, to make a quesadilla, there is nothing simpler! (10 mins)
1. Fold a tortilla in half and add a piece of mozzarella cheese inside.
2. Heat the skillet over low heat and place the quesadilla in it until the cheese melts. Change sides regularly so that it does not burn or become too dry.
3. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and more cheese!
4. Add whatever you want! For example: place inside the quesadilla a few slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, a little onion and cilantro if you have it on hand! Be creative, you can add meat, sauces or any kind of vegetables!
Quesadillas are even tastier with homemade mozzarella!
Enjoy your food !
Back to Recipes and tips | U MAIN Kits blog