Cream of butternut squash, orange and whey
It's squash season, what a delight!
It is possible to cook them in 1000 and one ways, but when you are a home cheese maker, you always have a little (or a lot!) of whey on hand to cook.
Let's take advantage of this fall seasonal vegetable to comfort ourselves with a cream that will warm our hearts and bellies!
Butternut squash, coriander and whey cream
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 orange: its zest and its juice
- 1 to 2 liters of whey
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (or 1/4 teaspoon of curry)
- 1 drizzle of vegetable oil of your choice
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Peel, halve and pit the squash.* Then cut the squash into small cubes.
* You can save the seeds to make your own delicious homemade roasted butternut squash seeds and enjoy all your squash.
2. Cut half an onion into rings. Pour a drizzle of vegetable oil into the cauldron and sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add the squash, cumin and turmeric, mix and sauté for 4-5 minutes. If needed, add a little more vegetable oil.
4. Add the zest of half an orange and mix.
5. Add the juice of half an orange, salt and pepper. Mix and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Cover everything with whey and bring to the boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer until the squash is cooked (5 to 10 minutes).
7. Add the cilantro, then put the soup in an electric mixer so that it becomes smooth.
8. Serve the cream hot.
Enjoy your food !
U MAIN, much more than kits to make your own homemade cheese!
Back to Recipes and tips | U MAIN Kits blog