The Eggplant alla Parmigiana dish is a hit with its decadent texture and exquisite taste.
Its preparation takes a little time, but remains very simple.
This recipe is ideal to cook for lunches of the week or for dinner accompanied by a good glass of red wine.
The ingredient list is short, but together they are simply delicious.
Here, fresh basil leaves are not optional, as they will definitely enhance the flavors of your dish.
- 3 eggplants sliced lengthwise (1cm thick).
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 4-5 fresh diced tomatoes or a large can of diced tomatoes.
- 15 to 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1 to 2 large balls of sliced freshly made mozzarella (about 250g)
- 3/4 cup grated fresh parmesan (about 60g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- On 3 baking sheets, place parchment paper.
- With 3/4 cup of olive oil, brush on both sides, all the eggplant slices. Place them on the plates. Salt and pepper. Bake for about 13 minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, put the rest of the olive oil and sweat the onion and garlic. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the bottom of a lasagna dish, spread 1/4 of the sauce. Cover the bottom with a third of the eggplant slices. Cover with 1/4 of the sauce, place 4 fresh basil leaves and distribute 1/3 of the mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat twice with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and toasted. Leave to cool for 25 minutes. Serve each portion with a fresh basil leaf.