Cauldron of more than 4 L in stainless steel (non-reactive).
2 glasses (or cups).
Large microwave safe bowl.
Colander and a large bowl going underneath.
Spoons: 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 2 large spoons (better if one has a hole in it).
Cheese thermometer (included in the kit).
Reusable cheesecloth (included in the kit).
Clothes pegs (optional).
4 liters of milk (cow or goat, Prefer 3.25%. NOT ultrapasteurized or UHT. NO vegetable or lactose-free milk).
1/4 sachet of rennet (included).
1 ½ tsp citric acid (included).
3/4 cup room temperature chlorine-free water (see "Before You Begin").
1 ½ teaspoon of cheese salt (included).
Video guide (quick version, WITH microwave oven)
1. a) In a glass, mix the rennet at room temperature with ¼ cup of water until dissolved and keep the rest in the small resealable bag in the fridge.
b) In a separate glass, mix the citric acid with ½ cup of water until dissolved.
2. Pour the milk into the cauldron and add the citric acid mixture. Stir for 5-10 sec.
3. Using the thermometer, heat the milk over medium heat to 32ºC (you have to be very precise). At this temperature add the rennet solution, mix 5 times and stop.
4. Measure the temperature at several places on the bottom of the cauldron, without touching the metal. As soon as you get 42ºC in one place, quickly remove the cauldron from the heat. The curds (coagulated milk) will form a clump and separate more clearly from the whey (yellow-greenish liquid) . The curd will look like silken tofu.
5. Use the knife to cut the block of curd into a grid of about 3 cm on the inside of the cauldron. Move the curd very gently to distribute the heat. If the overall temperature is less than 42°C, heat the curd again, stirring gently and continuously. The curd will solidify further. Precisely at 42ºC, remove the cauldron from the heat and let the curd rest for 2 min .*
*If the curd does not separate clearly from the whey, heat it to 85ºC, mixing gently and let it stand for 5 min. You will get ricotta! Then do step 6 and add the salt.
6. Spread the cheese cloth in the colander and set it on the bowl. With the slotted spoon, scoop out the curd and put it on the cheesecloth. Let drain. Follow steps 7-9 for the microwave method or 10-12 for the non-microwave method.
7.Method WITH microwave oven : Once well drained, put the curd in the microwave-safe bowl without the cheese cloth. Heat it for 1 min at high heat. Drain the whey from the cheese. Put on gloves or use two spoons to fold the curd on itself 5 times or until shiny.
8. Microwave the curd again for 30 sec or in 30 sec sessions until the internal temperature of the cheese reaches 57ºC . Drain the whey from the cheese.
9. Sprinkle 1 ½ teaspoon of cheese salt and crush to incorporate. Fold the cheese and stretch it 5 to 20 times, but don't overwork it or it will lose its flexibility. It will be more and more firm and shiny. If necessary, reheat it. Make balls or twists. Lo and behold, you have made mozzarella!
10.Method WITHOUT microwave oven : Heat water to a boil. Place the curd in the large bowl and cover it with a plate. Plug the sink and pour the boiling water into it, enough so that the bowl is surrounded by hot water without it getting inside. Place the covered bowl in it. Let it sit for 3 min or until the curd reaches 57ºC .
11. Take the bowl out of the sink (be careful, it's hot) and remove the plate. Put on rubber gloves or use two spoons to fold the curd over itself 5 times or until shiny. Drain the whey from the cheese. Put the curd in the bowl, cover it with the plate and place it in the sink, adding hot water as needed. Let it sit for 3 min.
12. Remove the bowl from the sink, remove the plate and sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of cheese salt and crush to incorporate. Fold the cheese and stretch it 5 to 20 times, but don't overwork it or it will lose flexibility. It will be more and more firm and shiny. If necessary, reheat it. Make balls or twists. There you go, you've made mozzarella!
Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week. To refrigerate: place it as is in a closed container or make a brine by mixing 2 cups of whey with 2 cups of boiling water and add 1/3 cup of salt. Leave to cool, put in a resealable container that goes in the fridge and add the mozzarella. The mozzarella can be kept for an additional week this way.
Enjoy your food !
Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.